Why Every Video Should Have a Script

GeekyNet

So many people skimp when it comes to planning. They turn on their camera, or screen recording software and just start making the video. They have a grand plan for their video, a purpose, and some thoughts on how to make it interesting. That isn't enough.

I made the mistake of not having scripts for over a year. No more! Scripts have helped me construct my videos so much more and have saved me a TON of time. In the past I have recorded myself chatting for vlogs, or done dialogue while I was screen recording. Now though, I always have a script ready.

Having a script can help you figure out whether or not a section should be included before you waste precious time actually recording it. If you are making videos consistently or are strapped for time, saving time is a huge boost to how much money you can make with videos, or simply how much time you have left to engage in other activities.

Remember, the planning process is just as important as everything else. The time you spend editing should be about editing GOOD content, not about getting rid of sentences and thoughts that never should have been recorded in the first place.

"But GeekyNet, what about candid statements?" Of course you want those! Scripts don't have to mean you can't be candid or come up with new content. I do it all the time! Going off script is fun and often makes for the best content. It's often the candid remarks that will get your subscribers laughing. However, it's the SCRIPT that holds the video together.

You don't build a house without a foundation. You shouldn't be making a video without a script.

Of course, there's exceptions to that golden rule. Some videos don't need scripts, but you'll know which videos those are. For your videos that are meant to inspire, instruct, inform, and more though? Use a script.

Thanks for reading my first post on this forum. I was inspired to write this when I saw how empty the script writing section was. Hopefully this helps all of you make educated decisions and create better content.

wolfio_gunz

I'd agree with this, but I feel like some of the exceptions should have been expanded upon. Many of the videos produced on this website aren't meant to be full scripted, it's game play with live reaction. The thing that drives many of the Play through channels on this site is just natural charisma and the ability to be aware of viewers with the intention of entertaining. You can't script that.

Scripts are fantastic, even if they're just brief notes to keep you on topic. My review videos require scripts, and my update videos usually go smooth when I have some notes to keep me on topic. I think what distinguishes videos that need scripts and videos which do better without, would be whether or not you're post-commentating. That draws the line between informative speech and fun play through.

Awesome post though! Love to see some more thinking on this site =)

Here's my take: if the video has a more personal take on it like commentary on the gameplay or vlog like gaming video, a script is not needed. Maybe have some points written down that you want to cover and that's it. And I know not everyone can keep their thoughts together like others can so it's not a bad thing to edit out the "uh's" or "um's" or moments where you get tongue tied.

But if it's more of a game review, an announcement or anything of the sort, a script would be better.

GeekyNet

Even
I'd agree with this, but I feel like some of the exceptions should have been expanded upon. Many of the videos produced on this website aren't meant to be full scripted, it's game play with live reaction. The thing that drives many of the Play through channels on this site is just natural charisma and the ability to be aware of viewers with the intention of entertaining. You can't script that.

Scripts are fantastic, even if they're just brief notes to keep you on topic. My review videos require scripts, and my update videos usually go smooth when I have some notes to keep me on topic. I think what distinguishes videos that need scripts and videos which do better without, would be whether or not you're post-commentating. That draws the line between informative speech and fun play through.

Awesome post though! Love to see some more thinking on this site =)
You're right, Let's Plays should be more natural. That said, you don't need a full script to improve a Let's Play. You might not need one at all. The purpose of this guide however is to really just promote the planning process. Even if a script is not needed, I think a general idea of what's going to be in the video is good.

I personally like to record gameplay and then edit out the best moments and make some sort of montage for them. I prefer watching & making these videos over the classic Let's Play where there's usually some boring segments (in my opinion).

Once I have my best moments, I think of some scripted comments and transitions to make the video flow.
Here's an example.

If you have a clip of yourself participating in a Hunger Games Minecraft event, which is full of hilarious comments, that's great. Want to know how to make that Let's Play Minecraft Hunger Games even better? Add in a scripted event such as....

"Later that day I discovered the TRUE meaning of Hunger Games." Then show yourself running around desperately trying to find food in Minecraft, because your health is ticking down due to starvation. It's a scripted event, but improves the overall content of your unscripted Let's Play.

My point is that even Let's Plays can have SOME scripted content and it generally improves the quality.

Remember, this is just MY style of making videos and is not for everyone. Some of you might enjoy never writing a script for all or any part of a video, that's fine.

Skript

I don't feel that every video has to be scripted. Now, you use scripts when you are making a sketch like what me and a couple of friends are doing. I have one ready on my desktop but what about top 10?

In my videos, I always use a script. Script usage depends on what you are aiming to acomplish. If you want a concise and well worded lexicon of a video, go with a script. However I have seen people who sometimes can just ramble off the top of their heads. If you go with rambling, a key thing is to know where to draw the line to stop. However I like scripts, but still throw in improvisation lines during my recording sessions.

Even

You're right, Let's Plays should be more natural. That said, you don't need a full script to improve a Let's Play. You might not need one at all. The purpose of this guide however is to really just promote the planning process. Even if a script is not needed, I think a general idea of what's going to be in the video is good.

I personally like to record gameplay and then edit out the best moments and make some sort of montage for them. I prefer watching & making these videos over the classic Let's Play where there's usually some boring segments (in my opinion).

Once I have my best moments, I think of some scripted comments and transitions to make the video flow.
Here's an example.

If you have a clip of yourself participating in a Hunger Games Minecraft event, which is full of hilarious comments, that's great. Want to know how to make that Let's Play Minecraft Hunger Games even better? Add in a scripted event such as....

"Later that day I discovered the TRUE meaning of Hunger Games." Then show yourself running around desperately trying to find food in Minecraft, because your health is ticking down due to starvation. It's a scripted event, but improves the overall content of your unscripted Let's Play.

My point is that even Let's Plays can have SOME scripted content and it generally improves the quality.

Remember, this is just MY style of making videos and is not for everyone. Some of you might enjoy never writing a script for all or any part of a video, that's fine.
This is a very good post! I'm really torn between whether or not I should script certain videos or not! I get nervous when I script videos because sticking to it is always on the back of my head. When I don't script the videos I enjoy it more but there are many "awkward pauses" for lack of a better word and the video quality is not as good! Of course I'm good with the gaming Live commentaries because the game kinda helps me out a little bit
But I'm not sure whether i completely agree with the fact that scripting is the best thing for every video.On the flip side I also think its a good thing to add a little bit of direction for some videos.
I had stopped scripting for a while but this post has made me rethink that. I think for funny videos I might try and write a stronger script and get more comfortable with that
But for gaming I think the focus should be staying alert for some cheeky improv...being yourself and connecting and appreciating the audience,however small or big.

Discord

Latest New Threads