Clicky

Watch out for Copyright Scams

Discussion in 'YouTube Monetization & Copyright' started by AnarchyofAdam, Apr 22, 2015.

1. AnarchyofAdam

AnarchyofAdam Active Member

That's right, YouTube's copyright system is a little broken right now. Anyone can pretty much put down a copyright claim on a video with no repercussions from YouTube. Sometime's they are Multi-Channel Networks trying to force you don't join them, or sometimes they are fake companies trying to claim a video and put ads on them for themselves and take all the revenue.

Base79 and Freedom have come to me like this and are known for doing this. The idea is join us or we'll take you down. It's sad and wrong, but can be fought easily. If you dispute them, your video will usually be cleared within a few hours.

The key to keeping yourself safe is knowing how to spot fakes and knowing how to dispute. Look up the company that has claimed the video. Check to see if they have any affiliation with any video or audio content including graphics and logos, sound effects, music, background video or game video, characters, or anything else. If they don't, then it's probably safe to assume that they are a scam and you can file your dispute.
    A dispute can be dangerous if you're not careful. Filing your first dispute to the claim gives them 30 days to respond. If they don't respond you win, and if they back out, you win. However, if they say that you're wrong and they stick with their claim, you are given the option to remove the video or dispute again. You need to have confidence that you're being scammed if this happens because filing a dispute to a real claim the second time means absolute termination of your channel. Know that if they go this far, they're probably serious too. Maybe at this point it's best to remove the video.

I hope this helps anyone out there looking for advice on disputing claims and spotting scams.
    Also, I'm going to plug myself here, check out my channel if you'd like. My GTA series is pretty popular and uses lots of music and sound effects which I have checked and are completely royalty free. I can't get a real copyright claim on those videos.

RBG and Nirvela like this.
  2. wolfio_gunz

wolfio_gunz Active Member Staff Member Damn Mod

I never really paid much attention to copyright issues on Youtube until you brought up the scam you ran into last night. I can see mob shakedowns like this happening with some of the bigger networks out there, and it is a real shame. It would be real nice to see Youtube turn around and witch-hunt all of the scamming networks to take this load off of new channels and their relations department.

DJStitch91 and RBG like this.
  3. AsassinX1

AsassinX1 New Member

Well I just got scammed on Royalty free public domain music

I also got suspended from the Creative Nations community apparently for this: