Remember when games had to work when they shipped?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic' started by DeviantRemedy, Jun 14, 2017.

1. DeviantRemedy

DeviantRemedy New Member

I think its really unfortunate that these days since consoles are connected to the internet the QA process seems to be much less involved. The thought process is that if a game is broken it can be fixed remotely after it was shipped.

Back in the non internet connected console days (Nintendo 64, Sega Genesis, etc..) Things just had to work perfectly or the games would have to be recalled, refunds issues, etc...

I wish that video game companies would QA their games as if they wouldn't be able to fix them after they were shipped.

What are your thoughts on this?

2. noirascii

noirascii New Member

I understand your point, but I also understand the developer point behind it too. If you have promised to release your game on a specific day, you've burned all the discs, packaged them and prepped them for dispatch to your chosen suppliers. But you didn't anticipate that there are some bugs that you missed: would you rather hold back the title, risking both your company's credibility and potential sales, or release as promised and fix them via a day one patch?

In the past, if you had a glitch in a game, sometimes game breaking glitches, that was it. You have to figure out your own way around it or you can't play that game anymore. But now you can have the developer remotely fix your game's glitches and bugs.

It's annoying, but necessary.