Opinions on the Xbox 720 Always-On rumors?

Vocosol

Veteran
Lately, rumors surrounding the Xbox 720 are that it will be an "always-on" device, meaning that you will always have to be connected to the internet in order to play games(Think of games like Diablo III, or SimCity.). Many players are not happy about this rumor, given that some don't have stable internet connections, and there are quite a few people who don't have internet connections at all. Microsoft hasn't commented on the issue, and with how little they've revealed about the console, this rumor could prove to be true.

It doesn't help that one of their employees took to twitter the other day, commenting in the image below:

Source: http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/152673-microsoft-has-allowed-xbox-720-always-on-connection-rumors-to-get-out-of-control

Microsoft has issued a formal apology regarding the employees actions, stating that he is not a spokesperson for the company, however refuses to comment further on the console until a later date.

What do you guys think? Personally, I won't be buying the 720 anyway because of prior bad experiences with Microsoft, however I know quite a few people who won't even think about touching the device if it's an "always-on" device.

samb222

Regular
I probably won't be buying a 720 if it's always on. The internet being on is one thing, but having to run a console 24/7 is going to be a massive drain on the electricity bills! It also seems kinda pointless.. Surely it can do the same when it's been turned on after being off all night, rather then being constantly on? Also, I don't play games nearly as much to justify it being on all the time. Playing twice a week and having the console on all that time seems like a massive waste of money.

Vocosol

Veteran
Oh! No no, it's talking about always needing an internet connection to play- the device can be turned off whenever you like. It basically just means that if you were to move and be without internet, you could turn on the console but wouldn't be able to PLAY anything, regardless of whether or not it's singleplayer, until you had the internet hooked up. Or if your internet went out while playing singleplayer, your entire game would die. The console isn't always powered on, however.

samb222

Regular
LOL oh wow, I really misunderstood that :')
Wow, that really sucks. What'd be the point in that? Still in shock about how much I overlooked the situation haha... Damn, it's almost 4am here in London, UK. Seems like I need to get some sleep before I start posting again!

kitsune tsuki

RPM Partner
yeah UK is awesome :p

Personally i think the always on would only be considered if games could detect when you lost signal and auto saved your place or something, i know the internet is progressing and getting faster and more stable everyday but it all depends where you live i guess

seriously though i don't see the point in being always online what benefit would they get from it, it seems like a lot of bad press for something that won't enhance the gameplay, does any one know why they want always on? i hope i'm not tempting fate here but the only reason i can see there being an Always on console would be for in game advertising -.-

toadstool: sorry mario the princess is in another castle, why not take a second to enjoy a before trying the next castle
Mario: Huh?

Vocosol

Veteran
On PCs, always-on games are used to prevent pirates. Games like SimCity and Diablo III always require an internet connection- even if you want to play singleplayer. This is so that the game connects to the server and verifies that it isn't a pirated copy. As for consoles, I have no idea why you would need something like this. Microsoft still won't confirm or deny the rumor, however one of their recent interviews mentions that "It was definitely discussed in the paperwork." or something along those lines. It's a terrible idea. Basically itd do what you said Kitsune- when you lost the internet connection it would save your place. But then you couldn't play until the internet came back. So picture Mario, and you're playing on your own. Then your internet goes out for whatever reason. You can no longer play Mario until your internet comes back on.

It would be super annoying to me, and honestly there'd be no need for it on a console. Anti-piracy on PC versions makes sense. Requiring it for a console which needs the disk or download to play? Makes zero sense.

Damnlag

Administrator
Staff member
Damn Admin
He never said always-online. Just always-on, as if he's trolling and saying it requires it to be always on to play anything. To use anything electronic, you must have it on. You turn your tv on to watch it, lol

Damnlag

Administrator
Staff member
Damn Admin
Who, the guy I cited from twitter? Or the one in the last interview?

This guy.

Discord

Latest New Threads