OBS vs Fraps, whichscreen recorder is better?

raidan

Has anyone tried both? If you have which do you think is better and why? I have been using OBS for quite sometime to record my gameplay videos. But I've hear some good things about fraps, is it worth the money to get fraps?

I know that price wise OBS wins unanimously but if fraps has better features then i'm willing to spend.

D

DJStitch91

Has anyone tried both? If you have which do you think is better and why? I have been using OBS for quite sometime to record my gameplay videos. But I've hear some good things about fraps, is it worth the money to get fraps?

I know that price wise OBS wins unanimously but if fraps has better features then i'm willing to spend.
Varies system to system. Download the trials and test yourself

Astinax

Noob
I've tried both but I actually prefer mirillis action

GrinningLantern

I have used both and prefer Fraps for recording (despite having to use VirtualDub to compress it's huge files) OBS is free but I feel like Fraps is much easier to use. However, OBS is great for Livestreaming as Fraps doesn't seem to have that capability. I would definitely give OBS a try if you don't mind experimenting with settings.

Zane

give a try to nVidia ShadowPlay if you have an nVidia card. thats what i use and the quality is amazing and it uses low resources.

Rakunio

Really off comparison as OBS is more of a source any recording program where is FRAPS is more of a just straight forward gameplay recording software, a more reasonable comparison is FRAPS vs. Dxtory in which both are similar but Dxtory cost money and FRAPS won't have the sourcing like Dxtory, the OBS comparison would be Xsplit or some where again one cost money and one doesn't, i'd probably recommend you Dxtory because you have a one time payment apposed to XSPLIT's monthly charging.

----------------------------------
Hope that helps!

Akendolfr

In my experience, FRAPS is certainly easier and the footage you get tends to be a more stable 60fps with minimal to no stutter. Much easier to set up as the options are minimal and you can just start recording pretty much right away. The downside of recording using FRAPS is that the file sizes you get are insane. For me, recording at 1080p 60fps got me around a 275gb file size for a 60 min video. It's the main reason I stopped using it.

OBS doesn't have the problem of insane file sizes, but it is a far more complicated program to use and does require a lot of time to set up, as well as a lot of experimentation a test footage. The footage you get tends not to be as smooth as FRAPS, but with the much better file sizes and a smaller CPU hit (In most cases) it's certainly the one I'd go for.

Wouldn't know about Xsplit as I have no intention of being charged a monthly fee just to use a program.