Clicky

Legal/Criminal Issues Of Uploading Gaming Videos?

Discussion in 'YouTube Monetization & Copyright' started by coreydragon, Jun 20, 2015.

1. coreydragon

coreydragon New Member

Hi,

I am new to all of this. I love playing videogames and love commenting when playing. I am concerned though about the legal issues that come from uploading gameplay footage to youtube. Is there any way a big company like Bethesda, Rockstar etc would sue a gamer? I figure the best way is to get permission from the publisher right? !

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
    Jay Carsen likes this.
  2. TheRedRyuda

TheRedRyuda Member

From my understanding most times they'll either just place ads on your video and make money for themselves or have it taken down. As long as you're not going out of your way to defy them, and you follow what their policies are, I don't think you should have any legal trouble.

Jay Carsen likes this.
  3. coreydragon

coreydragon New Member

Thanks for the reply :) Is there any way the publisher could bring criminal charges against me? I am talking big publishers like Bethesda and others? I am planning to only upload gaming videos from publishers who allow it. Are there any steps I should take to make sure everything is ok/legal?

4. TheRedRyuda

TheRedRyuda Member

Well I'm not a lawyer, so what I'm saying should be taken with a grain of salt, but from my understanding they won't unless they content id your video and you continually try to appeal it. Bethesda allows lets plays and the like, but won't let you monetize the videos, so as long as you're just uploading them without ads you should be fine. Check the policies and user agreements to see if a game's IP owners allow you to do let's plays or the like, whether or not they allow monetization (if that's unimportant, disregard this part).
    If they don't say, then you can try and send them an email explaining what you're trying to do and asking permissions, which is easier if it's an indie company, I believe. I've never tried to play a big game yet.

5. coreydragon

coreydragon New Member

I thought Bethesda allows you to be a youtube partner right? That's how people are making money.

6. TheRedRyuda

TheRedRyuda Member

I just checked and they appear to have changed it since I last saw, so yes. I would do some more personal research, but that looks to be the case.

7. coreydragon

coreydragon New Member

Thanks TheRedRyuda.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015
  8. Sentenza Gaming

Sentenza Gaming The Goon Staff Member Damn Mod

Like @TheRedRyuda said, the worst case scenario is youtube scans your video and block it worldwide. In that case, accept that it's blocked and don't contest the decision, it can result in a copyright strike and they can terminate your account.

Music artists can also monetize your video instead of yourself if you use non royalty free music in your videos.

9. coreydragon

coreydragon New Member

Thanks Sentenza Gaming. What if I take the music out of my games just to be safe? Then I would not have any issues 99% sure right?

10. Sentenza Gaming

Sentenza Gaming The Goon Staff Member Damn Mod

the big issue with big video games companies is don't upload their trailers...

You can upload all the gameplay you want it won't be a problem...

I was talking about background music you add when editing, there's royalty free music you can add and nobody will bother you.

If you add a song from a music artist, there's a chance that adds will appear on your video and that your video will be monetized by the music artist. YouTube scans for copyrights.