Is it worth joining a Network at this stage?

Cub

Hi,

I am quite new to YouTube as a content creator and I've seen many things about being part of a Network but I couldn't really decide weather it is worth joining a network at a stage like I am in right now (~20 subs/700 views), not for the payments but more for the promotion and help.

I am sure there are many people with experience who could give me some advice,I'd be really glad if you do! :D

Cheers!

Zyksnys

A partner just don't sudden help you, keep that in mind, their goal is to make money like every commercial business.

IMO you don't need partnership yet, you get ads for a few cents a month and those ads might scare new viewers away which you can't afford on a early stage. You want ofcourse as much engagement, viewers and subscribers as fast as possible and I think that step is easier when there is nothing in the way (like ads). I use this strategy for my own channel as well. I only have 63 subscribers, which isn't a lot either.

Armaedus

I am not part of any network, and as long as they continue to follow the current business model, I never will be. And here's why. Keep in mind, I'm not saying networks are bad or that you shouldn't join one. I'm just pointing out simple facts that most people overlook.

If you're not a large channel generating millions of views a month they will invest very little time or money into you or your channel. Meaning they aren't going to do anything to help promote you or help you grow. The reason is pretty straight forward. You give them a percentage of your ad revenue. If their cut of your ad revenue isn't large enough to exceed their cost in resources needed to promote you, etc. They're not going to do it. It's simple business 101 right there.

For the top Youtubers, Networks provide all sorts of stuff including promotion, legal representation, agents, etc. As small Youtubers, they will never provide that stuff to us.

BUT let's talk about what they will provide you. As a partner you will most likely get access to custom thumbnails which is really cool. Opportunities to collab with the other network partners, potentially access to brand deals (though audience size and engagement will be a factor), and since Youtube's support is absolutely atrocious for a small channel, a network will fill that role as well. Sometimes they give you access to royalty free music for your videos, which is cool. But beyond that most, not all but most, will not provide much more to you. And remember, you will be paying them for these "services" via a share in ad revenue.

Realistically, you DO NOT need to be part of a network to get any of those things I mentioned. You can get custom thumbnails by becoming Partner verified with Youtube which is so simple a monkey could do it. So there's that.

Opportunities to collab with other creators? Look around you. There's a forum full of people right here that would be willing to do that.

Brand deals? There are sites like Famebit that can provide that service (again it's dependent on your audience size and engagement) just like it would be through a network.

Royalty free music? There are plenty of sites out there to get music from, and it's pretty decent, without paying a dime for it. And it's 100% legal.

Support from Youtube? Well that's about the only thing a network will give you that you cannot give yourself for free.

In the end, you have to ask yourself, "Is there any VALUE to what they are providing me?" Because you will be paying for whatever it is that they do give you. As a small Youtuber all your promotion and growth will most likely reside on your shoulders alone. You will still have to get out there and hustle your ass off to grow, network or not. And as I pointed out, most things they give you can be given to yourself for free with a little effort and research on your part.

Last edited:

Cub

Thank you very much for the responses, this gave me a clearer picture of how things are, really and probably I will take the same path as you did. Thanks again!:)

Armaedus

Thank you very much for the responses, this gave me a clearer picture of how things are, really and probably I will take the same path as you did. Thanks again!:)
Well like I said, I'm not saying networks are bad or that they're the devil or anything like that. But if you consider joining one, just make sure that they're giving you something of value. If you can get what they're providing you, for yourself for free, then move on.

I have heard of some networks providing access to certain editing software and stuff like that but I don't know how common that is.

Bottom line, just be careful and make sure they're giving you some VALUE.

Good luck! And I hope you see lots of success with Youtube!

Reactions: Cub
BUT let's talk about what they will provide you. As a partner you will most likely get access to custom thumbnails which is really cool. Opportunities to collab with the other network partners, potentially access to brand deals (though audience size and engagement will be a factor), and since Youtube's support is absolutely atrocious for a small channel, a network will fill that role as well. Sometimes they give you access to royalty free music for your videos, which is cool. But beyond that most, not all but most, will not provide much more to you. And remember, you will be paying them for these "services" via a share in ad revenue.
You can get custom thumbnails as long as your account is verified and in good standing. You don't need to partner with a network to get that.

Armaedus

You can get custom thumbnails as long as your account is verified and in good standing. You don't need to partner with a network to get that.
That was exactly what I said in that post. After I listed the "benefits" of joining a network, I refuted them by giving examples of how you can do it yourself without joining a network.

Thanks for reading the post. :D

Discord

Latest New Threads