Future channel: Dealing with copyright?

Discussion in 'YouTube Monetization & Copyright' started by Skell09, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Skell09

Skell09 Member

Hi,

So, a friend and I are currently working on a new project involving discussing, reviewing movies etc.
    To make it more enjoyable to watch we would also like to include clips of movies, maybe throw in a trailer now and then.

How do we do this? Are we allowed to add, let's say, 1 minute clips of movies? Are we allowed to show a trailer?

I know there are tons of movie review channels who are doing it, so how do they get away with it?

2. GamerPerfection

GamerPerfection Well-Known Member Staff Member Damn Mod

Well the way it works with gaming videos is like this... lets say you have two videos of the exact same gameplay. One version is of just the gameplay and nothing else, besides visuals and sounds from the game itself. The other version is exactly the same but there is commentary added to it, pretty much throughout most of it, but doesn't need to be constant. Chances are the one without commentary are likely to come across copyright or 3rd party content ID claims, but the ones with a lot of commentary don't often get that issue.

So although i've never done movie videos, it may be that the same applies to that. But I can't say for sure.

3. Depends on the laws in your area, but the country I live in (USA) part of copyright laws do include a clause that allow you to use copyrighted material for certain uses. Off the top of my head I remember that review, criticism, and educational purposes are all covered. I'm not sure exactly how to make sure YouTube knows that that is what you are doing however. Be sure to look into it because it would be awful to upload a movie review (which should be fine like I said but google it to double check) and it get falsely flagged for copyright.

4. Googlemyhouse

Googlemyhouse New Member

If you are in the United States and using clips for a project such as reviewing & discussing a trailer or movie it's fair use. This is what I got from Stanford Universities discussion on this...

Here is the link for that.

http://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/fair-use/what-is-fair-use/

5. GameOverViper

GameOverViper Administrator Staff Member Damn Admin

As long as you're commentating over the trailer, you should be good to use it. Don't start the video with no commentary over it though. Start it out as a talk show type video. I think IGN does or use to review trailers. I know for sure they would review the Call of Duty game trailers and slow them down and talk about each scene piece by piece. Check them out and see what I mean by those. Just uploading a trailer will get 3rd party claim or taken down I'd assume if the company producing the movie had a system in place.

6. SacredRemedy

SacredRemedy Noob

also music content will get these claims. so you might have to mute or lower the music unless you have the necessary licenses or permission from the original content creators.

7. Ryatta

Ryatta Active Member

I have been battling claims on my review channel since I first started.. Which I've been trying my best to work around by making video frames in my videos to stop content id and playing movie clips for no more then 15 seconds.

Though unfortunately some companies.. notably Toei, Warner Brothers and Fox in my experience seem to claim videos simple based on you video titles (its seemed like it in the past when no video clips were even used!)

You can't rely on youtube to be on your side, but don't be afraid to counter claim your work, defend your right to critique someone elses work and don't back down.. while youtube has to make you aware that sounter claiming could land you in court the chances are very slim as any the claimer would know (as would youtube who will verify the counter claim) that reviews are generally untouchable

I just generally argue that all video and audio content from "insert film here" is used as part of a video review, where any clips show are for illustrative, review and educational purposes