Clicky

File a dispute?

Discussion in 'YouTube Monetization & Copyright' started by Foorson, May 4, 2016.

1. Foorson

Foorson Active Member

Hi Guys

I have a question.
    If I played the game and made a let'splay/game play of it and there was a song/soundtrack in it and I got copyright claim can I file a dispute to remove that claim?

Because the song was obviously put in game by the creators of the game

2. DJStitch91

DJStitch91 Guest

No music is always owned by creator.
    Creator gives publisher/creator rights to use their music, not the people playing/recording.

3. Foorson

Foorson Active Member

Ok I understand - Thanks!

4. Mr.Nodafish

Mr.Nodafish Active Member

Had the same thing happen to me with an old video except for this was just playing in the background for about 20 seconds in a cut scene where two characters were talking over it. To add insult to injury the song was just some oldies stuff that I'd be willing to bet no one listened to in years. Now I just automatically tun off the music unless I know it's safe.

5. Foorson

Foorson Active Member

Better save than sorry most definitely

6. VBC Trinity Games

VBC Trinity Games Active Member

You can actually dispute them (and claim that your video is a "transformative work" and therefore safe under fair use - assuming it actually is) and you may succeed...it could also fail and the claim will remain. It's a good idea to just be careful generally so you don't have to deal with this garbage lol

Foorson likes this.
  7. Logan Dougherty

Logan Dougherty New Member

So it's true that you could potentially have a transformative work or derivative work, which would apply to the playthrough of the game. But odds are that the claim is because of the music, so I don't think there'd be a way to dispute the claim on the audio since it hasn't changed from the original and wouldn't be a derivative of that audio work.

8. Foorson

Foorson Active Member

I guess I will leave all of those copyright claims - i have like 8 of those and all of them just because of music in the game soo yah : )

9. CookieDoughYummy

CookieDoughYummy Member

I have no problem with the honest copyright claims, it doesn't bother me to leave them on my videos because I know the original creators have the rights to them, but I look in to all claims made by people I don't reconize. 9/10 times they are false claims that want to jump in on the cash you're making. I hate these people. So, just be careful and look in to everything :)

Zane and Foorson like this.