Fair Use Policy?

Discussion in 'YouTube Monetization & Copyright' started by Marshmallow Machete, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Marshmallow Machete

Marshmallow Machete Active Member

Hi guys if this has been posted somewhere else I apologise. I recently contacted EA games to request permission for a game I would like to play. They kindly answered me but it was sort of a generic response that has already been posted online.

Anywho the sentence that confused me was the following:

'EA does not object to fair uses of video footage or screenshots on video sharing sites, including YouTube channels that are commercialized, as long as the footage is a version of the game that we have released to the public.'

It occured to me I have no idea what constitutes as 'fair use' on let's play videos.

Could someone more intelligent please enlighten me as to what fair use is?!

Many thanks and sorry for being an idiot!

2. Spunkly

Spunkly Active Member

Basically, it's saying that they allow you to monetize your videos of games such as The Sims 4 (for example) as long as it's not a pre-release of a game. For example, Far Cry Primal (it's not an EA game, but just an example) has not been released yet. If you were to be one of the few selected by EA to make a video on the pre alpha version, you couldn't monetize it. Or for The Sims 4: perhaps you were given a copy of some DLC to showcase to fans, you can't monetize that because the DLC hasn't been released yet. I hope that helps!

Marshmallow Machete likes this.
  3. Marshmallow Machete

Marshmallow Machete Active Member

Thank you so much for your reply. Yeah the game I wanted to play was an old one so I think I should be ok :s I just didn't know if fair use meant something like you can only use clips of the game rather than do a full playthrough for example. From what I can gather it's all a grey area and fair use seems to vary from company to company. I think I got all the permission I'm gonna get lol!

4. Spunkly

Spunkly Active Member

I'm glad I could help! I've monetized my Sims 4 videos before and I haven't had any problems with EA on it. The only problem with EA is sports games, because of the music and I believe the players (because they get paid to be in it). It's just always safe to make sure and do your research first. Happy tubing! :D